Saturday, December 27, 2008

Can every passage be understood well enough to be applied?

One thing I've liked about my preaching pastor is that he uses much of his limited amount of time preaching to apply the passage rather than spending the majority of the time on exegesis (critical explanation) of the passage. I generally have felt that the exegesis task, which is essential, has been done by my pastor, leading to well done application of the passage. However, recently I've begun to question whether every passage can be adequately understood to be applied. Perhaps some passages are just not clear enough to be understood and therefore not able to be applied.

In politics, I have adopted an idea that I believe everyone should adopt: don't vote if you don't know. I'm moving towards a similar idea in homiletics (the art of preaching), don't apply it if you aren't sure what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment